The NMFRI scientific activity includes issues related to the rational exploitation of living marine resources and their optimal use as well as issues related to the environmental aspects of human activity at sea. The Institute’s offer is addressed to:
- National and local administration responsible for planning and implementing environmental policy;
- Administration responsible for creating fisheries policy;
- Business partners interested in the exploitation and processing of marine resources, as well as the use of space at sea.
WHAT WE OFFER?
Environmental assessment and research
Marine research in:
- Biology, ecology and taxonomy of marine organisms (phytoplankton, zooplankton, ichthyoplankton, macrobenthos, meiobenthos);
- Biology and ecology of fish and their early development stages;
- Condition assessment of fish stocks and the environment;
- Formulating strategy for fisheries resources management;
- Mapping of marine and freshwater fish spawning areas;
- Application of otolith microstructure in the research of fish larvae;
- Parasitology – the use of fish parasites as bioindicators of changes occurring in the Baltic ecosystem.
- Environmental analysis, including research conducted for the purpose of building and use of maritime infrastructure (subsea installations, wind farms, hydrotechnical structures), including monitoring of the environment’s condition;
- Analyses to assess the state of the environment in accordance with the requirements of the Water Framework Directive and the Marine Strategy Framework Directive;
- Environmental impact assessment of projects implemented in marine areas;
- Development of natural conditions for spatial development plans for marine areas.
The offer includes: planning on the basis of expert knowledge of the scope of monitoring research, development of study methodologies in accordance with legal requirements based on many years of experience in conducting research on the marine environment, comprehensive performance of research and development of the results in accordance with the requirements of the client and applicable legal standards.
The Institute has vessels that can conduct sampling of fish and other living organisms (phytoplankton, zooplankton, benthos), water or sediment samples, and chemical laboratories in which it is possible to determine: nutrients, chemical impurities included in the list of priority substances of the Water Framework Directive.
Innovative technologies and products
Innovative technologies and products:
The NMFRI supports the creation and testing of technological solutions throughout the entire fish processing chain aimed at:
- Improving the quality, durability and safety of products through the use of innovative solutions used in food preservation technology (sterilization, freezing processes, the use of high pressures and others);
- Improvement of sensory values of products;
- Development of new fish products with the characteristics of convenience and functional food;
- Design and construction works related to the mechanization of new methods of processing fish and other aquatic animals for food, fodder and technical purposes;
- Minimizing the environmental impact of the fishing industry and aquaculture;
- Optimal waste management from the fish industry and aquaculture.
Research and development works carried out in this area at the Institute concern:
- The impact of technological processes on the content and bioavailability and bioactivity of nutrients;
- Research aimed at minimizing zoonotic, bacteriological and chemical threats in food production;
- Possibilities of economic use of waste and by-products from the production line.
The offer includes: analytical services related to food quality and sewage, analytical services related to the presence in food of contaminants whose levels are limited by law, expert knowledge support in the field of technologies used in processing, aquaculture, expert support in planning waste management, analysis of own data and literature data on raw materials for processing from different geographical regions, support in the promotion of sea food and aquaculture.
The range of offered expert services includes also: mapping of bottom habitats in marine areas, spatial data analysis in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), ecological modelling.
Audits and business assessment
- Technological audits of processing techniques;
- Economic analyses and expertise for fisheries, fish processing and aquaculture;
- Consulting and optimization of processes and entities of fisheries economy;
- Market and marketing research.
Education and development of human resources
Education and the development of human resources:
- Supporting professional education related to fisheries and fish processing;
- Training in providing quality of fish and fish products;
- Development of programs for trade subjects;
- Internships and traineeships for students of natural sciences or other related to the profile of the Institute;
- Classes in the field of environmental education at the NMFRI Gdynia Aquarium.
Social initiatives and consultations
Social initiatives and consultations:
- Factual support for fishing organisations in the processes of identification, certification of fish and fish products;
- Initiating dialogue between stakeholders in the context of ecosystem-based fisheries management, as well as the use of marine areas;
- Publishing information on fishing and its interaction with the environment;
- Factual participation of the Institute’s representatives in fishing and environmental organisations;
- Support in campaigns promoting sea food.
Plankton sorting and identification
- Identyfikacja taksonomiczna różnorodnych prób planktonowych oraz opracowanie struktury ilościowej i taksonomicznej (jakościowej).
- Preparation of plankton samples, according to the methodology recommended by the ordering party.
- Taxonomic identification of various plankton samples and preparing quantity and quality structure.
Plankton Sorting and Identification Center in Szczecin
tel. +48 914-554-463
Rental of space and other services
Free office and storage space:
- Offices and storage space at a perfect location;
- 24-hour security of the facility.
Conference and training rooms for rent:
- Fully equipped multifunctional conference rooms;
- Perfect location at the centre of Gdynia.
tel. +48 58-73-56-102
Rental of parking spaces for vehicles on the premises of the Institute at Kołłątaja 1 in Gdynia:
- Possibility to rent a designated parking space available 24 hours a day on the premises of the NMFRI at ul. Kołłątaja 1 in Gdynia with the “Business card”;
- The possibility of entering and parking the vehicle without a designated parking space on the premises of the NMFRI at ul. Kołłątaja 1 in Gdynia from 6.00–22.00 with the “Standard card”.
tel. +48 58-73-56-102